Main Article Content
This overview study set out to compare and synthesise the findings of review studies conducted on predicting student academic performance (SAP) in higher education using educational data mining (EDM) methods, EDM algorithms, and EDM tools from 2013 to September 2021. It conducted multiple searches for suitable and relevant peer-reviewed articles on two online search engines, on nine online databases, and on two online academic social networks. It, then, selected 33 eligible articles from 2,500 articles. Some of the findings of this overview study are worth mentioning. First, only 3 studies explicitly stated their precise sample sizes, and only 5 studies explicitly mentioned their subject areas with maths and science, and computer science and engineering as the four most mentioned subject areas. Second, 20 review studies had purposes related to either EDM techniques, EDM methods, EDM models, or EDM algorithms employed to predict SAP and student success in the higher education sector. Third, there are six commonly used typologies of input variables reported by 33 review studies, of which student demographics was the most commonly utilised variable for predicting SAP. Fourth and last, seven common EDM algorithms employed for predicting SAP were identified, of which Decision Tree emerged both as the most used algorithm and as the algorithm with the highest prediction accuracy rate for predicting SAP.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
The author declares that the submitted to Journal of e-Learning and Knowledge Society (Je-LKS) is original and that is has neither been published previously nor is currently being considered for publication elsewhere.
The author agrees that SIe-L (Italian Society of e-Learning) has the right to publish the material sent for inclusion in the journal Je-LKS.
The author agree that articles may be published in digital format (on the Internet or on any digital support and media) and in printed format, including future re-editions, in any language and in any license including proprietary licenses, creative commons license or open access license. SIe-L may also use parts of the work to advertise and promote the publication.
The author declares s/he has all the necessary rights to authorize the editor and SIe-L to publish the work.
The author assures that the publication of the work in no way infringes the rights of third parties, nor violates any penal norms and absolves SIe-L from all damages and costs which may result from publication.
The author declares further s/he has received written permission without limits of time, territory, or language from the rights holders for the free use of all images and parts of works still covered by copyright, without any cost or expenses to SIe-L.
For all the information please check the Ethical Code of Je-LKS, available at http://www.je-lks.org/index.php/ethical-code
- *Agrusti, F., Bonavolontà, G., & Mezzini, M. (2019). University dropout prediction through educational data mining techniques: A systematic review. Journal of E-Learning and Knowledge Society, 15(3), 161–182. https://doi.org/10.20368/1971-8829/1135017
- *Alamri, R., & Alharbi, B. (2021). Explainable student performance prediction models: A systematic review. IEEE Access. 9, 33132–33143. 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3061368
- *Alban, M., & Mauricio, D. (2019). Predicting university dropout through data mining: A systematic literature. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 12(4), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2019/v12i4/139729
- *Aldowah, H., Al-Samarraie, H., & Fauzy, W. M. (2019). Educational data mining and learning analytics for 21st century higher education: A review and synthesis. Telematics and Informatics, 37, 13–49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2019.01.007
- *Alturki, S., Hulpus, I., & Stuckenschmidt, H. (2020). Predicting academic outcomes: A survey from 2007 till 2018. Technology, Knowledge and Learning, 1–33. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10758-020-09476-0
- *Alyahyan, E., & Düştegör, D. (2020). Predicting academic success in higher education: Literature review and best practices. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education, 17(3), 1–23. https://doi.org/10.1186/s41239-020-0177-7
- *Anoopkumar. M., & Rahman, A. M. J. M. Z. (2016). A review on data mining techniques and factors used in educational data mining to predict student amelioration. International Conference on Data Mining and Advanced Computing (SAPIENCE), 122–133. https://doi.org/10.1109/SAPIENCE.2016.7684113.
- *Ameen, A. O., Alarape, M. A., & Adewole, K. S. (2019). Students’ academic performance and dropout predictions: A review. Malaysian Journal of Computing, 4(2), 278–303.
- *Ashenafi, M. M. (2017). A comparative analysis of selected studies in student performance prediction. International Journal of Data Mining & Knowledge Management Process, 7(4), 17–32. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijdkp.2017.7402
- *Aydogdu, S. (2020). Educational data mining studies in Turkey: A systematic review. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 21(3), 170–185.
- *Cui, Y., Chen, F., Shiri, A., & Fan, Y. (2019). Predictive analytic models of student success in higher education: A review of methodology. Information and Learning Sciences, 120(3/4), 208–227. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/ILS-10-2018-0104
- *Del Río, C. A., & Insuasti, J. A. P. (2016). Predicting academic performance in traditional environments at higher-education institutions: A review. Ecos de la Academia, 4, 185–201.
- *Durga, V. S., & Thangakumar, J. (2019). Students performance prediction through educational data mining - An uncomplicated review. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, 1404–1406.
- *Ganesh, S. H., & Christy, A. J. (2015). Applications of educational data mining: A survey. IEEE Sponsored 2nd International Conference on Innovations in Information Embedded and Communication Systems (pp. 1–6). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIIECS.2015.7192945.
- Grant, M. J., & Booth, A. (2009). A typology of reviews: An analysis of 14 review types and associated methodologies. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 26, 91–108. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-1842.2009.00848.x
- *Hamoud, A. K., Dahr, J. M., Najim, I. A, & Kamel, M. B. M. (2021). Supervised learning algorithms in educational data mining: A systematic review. Southeast Europe Journal of Soft Computing, 10(1), 55–70.
- Hamoud, A., Humadi, A., Awadh, W. A., & Hashim, A. S. (2017). Students’ success prediction based on Bayes algorithms. International Journal of Computer Applications, 178(7), 6–12.
- *Hellas, A., Ihantola, P., Petersen, A., Ajanovski, V. V., Gutica, M., Hynninen, T., … Liao, S. N. (2018). Predicting academic performance: A systematic literature review. Proceedings Companion of the 23rd Annual ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (pp. 175–199). ACM: Cyprus. https://doi.org/10.1145/3293881.3295783
- *Jindal, R., & Borah, M. D. (2013). A Survey on educational data mining and research trends. International Journal of Database Management Systems, 5(3), 53–73. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijdms.2013.5304
- *Khanna, L., Singh, S. N., & Alam, M. (2016). Educational data mining and its role in determining factors affecting students academic performance: A systematic review. Proceedings of India International Conference on Information Processing (IICIP) (pp. 1–7). https://doi.org/10.1109/IICIP.2016.7975354.
- *Khasanah, A. U. (2018). (2018). A review of student’s performance prediction using educational data mining techniques. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 13(6), 5302–5307. https://doi.org/10.36478/jeasci.2018.5302.5307
- Kim, C. S., Bai, B. H., Kim, P. B., & Chon, K. (218). Review of reviews: A systematic analysis of review papers in the hospitality and tourism literature. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 70, 49–58. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2017.10.023
- Kumar, A. D., Selvam, R. P., Kumar, K. S. (2018). Review on prediction algorithms in educational data mining. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics, 118(8), 531–537.
- Kumar, M., & Salal, Y. K. (2019). Systematic review of predicting student’s performance in academics. International Journal of Engineering and Advanced Technology, 8(3), 54–61.
- *Kumar, M., Singh, A. J., & Handa, D. (2017). Literature survey on student’s performance prediction in education using data mining techniques. International Journal of Education and Management Engineering, 6, 40-49. https://doi.org/10.5815/ijeme.2017.06.05.
- *Liz-Domínguez, M., Caeiro-Rodríguez, M., Llamas-Nistal, M., & Mikic-Fonte, F. (2019). Predictors and early warning systems in higher education - A systematic literature review. Proceedings of LASI Spain 2019: Learning Analytics in Higher Education (pp. 84–99). http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-2415/paper08.pdf.
- *López-Zambrano, J., Torralbo, J. A. L.; & Romero, C. (2021). Early prediction of student learning performance through data mining: A systematic review. Psicothema, 33(3), 456–465.
- *Manjarres, A. V., Sandoval, L. G. M., & Suárez, M. J. (2018). Data mining techniques applied in educational environments: Literature review. Digital Education Review, 33, 235–266. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10489-012-0374-8
- Miles, M. B., & Huberman, A M. (1994). Qualitative data analysis: An expanded sourcebook. Thousand Oaks, Sage.
- Moher, D., Liberati, A., Tetzlaff, J., & Altman, D. G. (2009). Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRISMA statement. British Medical Journal, 339:b2535, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535
- *Moonsamy, D., Naicker, N., Adeliyi, T. T., & Ogunsakin, R. E. (2021). A meta-analysis of educational data mining for predicting students performance in programming. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 12(2), 97-104.
- *Moreno-Marcos, P. M., Alario-Hoyos, C., Munoz-Merino, P. J., & Kloos, C. D. (2019). Prediction in MOOCs: A review and future research directions. IEEE Transactions 0n Learning Technologies, 12(3), 384–401. https://doi.org/10.1109/TLT.2018.2856808
- *Muttathil, A., & Rahman, A. M. J. (2016). A review on data mining techniques and factors used in educational data mining to predict student amelioration. 2016 International Conference on Data Mining and Advanced Computing. https://doi.org/10.1109/SAPIENCE.2016.7684113
- *Namoun, A., & Alshanqiti, A. (2021). Predicting student performance using data mining and learning analytics techniques: A systematic literature review. Applied Sciences, 11, 237.
- *Papadogiannis, I., Poulopoulos, V., & Wallace, M. (2020). A critical review of data mining for education: What has been done, what has been learnt and what remains to be seen. International Journal of Educational Research Review, 5(4), 353–372.
- *Papamitsiou, Z., & Economides, A. A. (2014). Learning analytics and educational data mining in practice: A systematic literature review of empirical evidence. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 17(4), 49–64.
- Pieper, D., Buechter, R., Jerinic, P., & Eikermann, M. (2012). Overviews of reviews often have limited rigor: A systematic review. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 65, 1267–1273. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2012.06.015
- Polanin, J. R., Maynard, B. R., & Dell, N. A. (2016). Overviews in education research: A systematic review and analysis Review of Educational Research, 87(1), 172–203. https://doi.org/10.3102/0034654316631117
- *Saa, A., Al Emran, M., & Shaalan, K. (2019). Factors affecting students’ performance in higher education: A systematic review of predictive data mining techniques. Technology, Knowledge and Learning, 24, 567–598. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10758-019-09408-7
- *Saqr, M. (2018). A literature review of empirical research on learning analytics in medical education. International Journal of Health Sciences, 12(2), 80–85.
- *Shahiri, A. M., Husain, W., & Rashid, N. A. (2015). A review on predicting student’s performance using data mining techniques. Procedia Computer Science, 72, 414–422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.12.157
- Vaismoradi, M., & Snelgrove, S. (2019). Theme in qualitative content analysis and thematic analysis. Forum: Qualitative Social Research, 20(3), Art. 23.
- *Zulkifli, F., Mohamed, Z, & Azmee, N. A. (2019). Systematic research on predictive models on students’ academic performance in higher education. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 8(2S3), 357–363. https://doi.org/10.35940/ijrte.B1061.0782S319